Re: Runegate Questions

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:56:32 -0000

Michael Schwartz wrote:
<<But all this has nothing to do with the Runegate clans. While they likely have Berenthtelli ancestry somewhere in the past, they are not Hyalorings and the term as used in publication is something of a misnomer, or an outrageous claim of antiquity by Elmal-worshipping kings>>

It may be a misnomer in that there are no Hyalorings any more but IMO it may be important to understand the Hyaloring triachy that the clans may claim Hyaloring ancestry. They may be proud of it and have traditions associated with that ancestry that differentiate them from the other Heortling clans in Dragon Pass. The may have been colonists from the north not from Heortland. 'Racism' may be part of the reason why the Hiordings join with the displaced Varmandi in attacking them.

Jeff Richard's web site material suggests to me that he sees Hyaloring's as having 'foreign' customs as well:

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/quivini.html

though I think that c;lans claiming Hyaloring ancestry are from North of Dragon Pass, not north Esrolia (thought I'm not sure if this is waht Jeff Richards is implying).

>>Except we have no idea where Taral is located... it is not on any
>>map that I can find... nor whether it is a stead, a hill fort, etc.

My guess would be that Taral is somewhere in the old Lonisi now Taraling lands:

Lonisi/Taraling: region east of Runegate, north of the Swan River, and south of Stael's Hills, and a smaller area south of the Swan.

I doubt there is any more accurate information than that.

>Depends on which page of KING OF SARTAR you read.

Agreed there are many contradictions around the dates in the King's List and the narrative, the fate of the Karandoli etc. There are probably some decent episodes for Colymar campaigns in unravelling the truth of these assertions.

My suspicion is that Greg is trying to spur creativity by these contradictions, not hide 'truth' from us.

>Yes, I am aware. I too have read KING OF SARTAR, thank you.
Michael, I apologise if you feel that I was implying you had not, this is not something I meant. I was not trying to 'impress' you with myrthe fact that I had read KoS. However, I thought you might want to discuss the information in KoS. I had not appreciated that:

<<I am after the stuff which has only been bandied about on the sundry mailing lists or in the hallowed halls of the Greg's sanctum sanctorum by those in the "Inner Circle".>>

Sadly, AFAIK the digest archives are still not searchable, and I have no idea if there really is an "Inner Circle".

Ian Cooper