Re: Happy Easter

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:08:52 EDT

Detailed answers to many of these questions will appear in Sorcerer Knights, but as that won't be published for a year or so, you'll have to make do with what little I can give away:

Peter:

<< not even the Loskalmi would agree that [Hrestol's] day is the most important in the Malkioni Calendar >>

     Correct. Malkonmas is the holiest day of their calendar, as it is in Seshnela.

Nick:

<<> Hrestol is the equivalent of Jesus in Glorantha (to some extent).

Closer to St Paul, or St Dismas, in my opinion. >>

     Closer, yes, but (as I'm sure Nick would agree) its dodgy to identify any given Gloranthan figure too much with a RW one. Orlanth isn't Odin, after all!

Peter Larsen thinks:

<<>Hmmm... [Sacred Time] celebrates the resurrection of the gods, the rebirth of the
world, and the start of Spring. I don't think that fits [Christmas], either.

     This is a bit OT, but I believe some ancient European cultures regarded the Winter Solstice as the time of rebirth of the world, because its when the sun begins to fight back. Indeed, this is why the Christian calendar puts the New Year where it is (or where it was before the drift in the Julian calendar mucked the dates up). We Brits fought against this for a long time, knowing that the vernal equinox was the proper time for New Year. When we eventually harmonised with continental Europe the parliamentary accountants kicked up such a stink about not having a 9 month year throwing all their calculations out of whack that we kept the date of the vernal equinox (again, where it *used* to be before the Julian calendar drift) as the beginning of the financial year, which it remains to this day.

"Epweissengruber":

<>

     Writing, Writing and Soulless Sorcery, for me, I think :-)

Trotsky