RE: Re: atheists in Glorantha

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:17:37 +0100

> Many, many people have been doing their best to explain.

"I find trying to think like an Orlanthi helps" was offensive, not helpful.

> Some very good
> wordsmithing from Peter, John and others but it always seems to be
> shrugged off with a reference to semantics or wordplay or 'life isn't
> really like that' -- if you know the answers, why ask the questions?

Well, it is necessarily or at least in part a semantic issue, in that we are talking about words and their uses. I have just mailed Peter some texts from which I was drawing my analysis of atheism, and hopefully we can come to some understanding.

They key difference of opinion, as I see it, is:

"... the more crucial form of atheist rejection is not the assertion that it is false that there is a God but instead the rejection of belief in God because the concept of God is said not to make sense..." - Encyclopedia Brittanica,
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=117394&tocid=38266#38266.toc

This does not seem to me to mean what was intended by the term Atheism in Glorantha, however, or at least so I understood.