Re: Atheism in Glorantha

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:00:58 EDT

Gareth Martin:

<< They key difference of opinion, as I see it, is:

 "... the more crucial form of atheist rejection is not the assertion that it  is false that there is a God but instead the rejection of belief in God  because the concept of God is said not to make sense..."

 This does not seem to me to mean what was intended by the term Atheism in Glorantha, however, or at least so I understood. >>

    Correct. The term 'atheism' in Glorantha is used in the RW ancient sense, not the 20th/21st century sense quoted above. For example, the Romans persecuted the early Christians precisely because they were 'atheists', yet Christianity doesn't really fit the description above. It may perhaps be unfortunate that Gloranthan material has always (since RQ2, at least) used the ancient sense of the word when most people today are far more familiar with the modern meaning, but its too ingrained now to get rid of, IMO.

Trotsky