RE: Re: atheists in Glorantha, from Greg

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:26:09 -0700

Hello,

I hope I can clarify something here. Let me start with a clarification that verges upon a confession: sometimes the way that words are used in Glorantha have particular or peculiar meanings (to say nothing of the intentional obscurity that I put in.)

At 05:06 PM 4/10/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Are we talking about a difference of EVIDENCE or a difference of FAITH? I
>feel we are wholly conflating faith and experience, here, and I am becoming
>more rather than less confused. This description above seems to suggest
>that Brithini, Malkioni et al are all theists, albeit with some internal
>heresy running around.

The questions you are asking have been asked in Glorantha, and the various answers that have been forwarded to the list are all (I am sure) represented in various sects and factions within the collective Malkioni.

The Brithini certainly acknowledge the existence of gods, spirits and demons of all types. Over the millennia of their existence they have developed spells against every one of those foes. I labelled the Brithini "atheists" because they have never uncovered any evidence that can be proved to be anything other than a natural law. Their knowledge was established by superior beings of a previous age and the modern Brithini follow those ancient instructions now. They do not have a God, but a force. They do not worship God, or even worship at all. Hence atheists.
They consider the other Malkioni to be deluded by personifying the creative energy, etc.

>> The Brithini and Zzaburi don't believe in an afterlife, either.
>Hmm. Why not? do they not recognise the existance of the hero planes?
Some living Brithini remember being alive in the times when other people have to go to the Hero Plane. But I think you mean Sorcery Plane here.

The Brithini do recognize the sorcery plane of course, since their ancestors helped to create it in ancient times. However, a "soul" doesn't exist there but disappears into its component parts of body and energy.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>