Re: Re: Veneration, Malkioni, Brithini

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:16:53 -0500

Jeff Kyer says to

Bryan Thexton:
>> Do the Brithini even have liturgists and community blessings? I had
>> the impression from somewhere that *all* their magic was handled by
>> the 'wizards,' although I may have mis-interpreted. Still, it would
>> seem to help explain the appeal of Malkionism--not just Solace, but
>> that more ordinary people can gain blessings in everyday life,
>> instead of being totally dependant on wizards.
>
>That would explain a part of Malkion's appeal -- as well as the thought
>of solace. Folks do like to think they have a share in their community
>and support. The Zzaburi caste seem very much the white-lab coat types.
>Which, given their view of the universe as impersonal forces, makes a
>lot of sense.

        I find it hard to believe that the Brithini don't have any sort of magical community support. I'd think that would be a disadvantage in Glorantha. I suppose the Brithini Zabburi/(Farmer/Soldier/Talar) might be much higher than for the other Sorcerous peoples, possibly because their systems can be codified and transmitted much more efficiently to students. I also suppose (as Mr. Kyer points out) that the average Zzaburite is considerably more powerful than other sorcerors and wizards by virtue of having practiced since Arkat was in short pants. Perhaps they have other ways to spread the magical wealth around. I confess complete ignorance here, but there should be some way to provide communal magical effects or other "blessing analogs."

Peter Larsen