Re: How long does it take to learn sorcery?

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:58:36 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> At 10:38 19/04/01 +0300, you wrote:
>
> >I'm starting a campain in the West of Glorantha, the city of Riverjoin
> >on the Janube, centered on an school of sorcery, the "Academy of the
> >Indigo Circle".
> >
> >I'd like to hear how young are people apprenticed to learn sorcery /
> >wizardry?
>
> The same age they are apprenticed to other guilds (dependant
> on what you think that age is in your campaign).

Hmm. I'd hope Issaries would nail it down to some extent. It's rather relevant to the feel of the culture and area, isn't it?

> >How long does it take for a student to reach Adept level on
> >the average?
>
> The same age as it takes for other apprentices to finish their
> training (same qualification as before).

You mean you get to be a wizard in the same time it takes to learn carpentry? I don't think so really...

> >Is the training in the best "all-day, every-day" style, or
> >will the young characters have a chanse to learn other things?
>
> "all-day, every-day". What little free time the apprentice
> has is used in swotting up the necessary extra-curriculum
> skills that he needs: like knife-fighting with other students
> on the streets, navigating one's way to the next pub while
> crawling in the gutter with a head for of liquor, cheating
> at exams, sneaking into the dormitories after the provost
> of apprentices has closed the gates, hazing Tommy Brown the
> newest apprentice etc. Developing the capacity to strike
> up close friendships with members of the opposite sex is a
> dream desired by many but gained by few...

LOL! Excellent! :)

<and once again, I look like a compleat looney trying not to laugh aloud at my workplace>

> >Also, is it possible to learn simple spells before actually mastering
> >the paradigms and principles of the school of sorcery?
>
> The HW:RiG actually states that the first spell an apprentice
> learns is "Aid My Teachers".
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Ah, that's true. Participating in a ritual circle, and channeling energy for the teacher to use? Or what does it mean?

        -Adept