Re: Help! Seeking Rigsdal Info

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:32:36 -0400

Nick Brooke wrote:

> In general, I'd go with anything Jane Williams says: she's thought
> more
> about this than anyone else. But her site hasn't been revised for
> these
> new-fangled "Rigsdal" ideas, so it's still all about why an Orlanthi
> (Kallyr) would choose to worship a Yelmic deity, Polaris. Still
> excellent
> stuff, though, and likely to get even easier with Rigsdal in play.
> (Frex,
> "How Polaris Joined Orlanth's Household" is a fine story, and probably
> translates to Rigsdal with no issues at all).
>
> Cheers, Nick

I like the story too. But then I've always like Rig the Walker. Rigsdal ends up being both a stand-alone deity and a subcult for Elmal, Orlanth (hence Vinga) and Humakt. With that sort of widespread appearance, I suspect that he and Polaris are just different aspects (wrong word, I know!) of the same deity. The Dara Happans seem to emphasize his command and leadership side and the Heortlings like his watchfulness and warrior skills. Some of other deities are probably in similar straits -- Donadar for example. As a side note, such cross-cultrural deities certainly does make changing pantheons a bit easier.

Jeff