RE: Tappy Easter

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:51:51 -0500

Peter Metcalfe says:

>This smacks to me of an argument from the rules. The congregation
>is explicitly linked to the worship of the Invisible God which
>the Brithini do not do.

        Fair enough. I was thinking that Malkioni practice might be derived from Brithini techniques, but I'm not fixated on the idea.

>Digressing a bit, I don't think everything spectacular that
>non-Zzaburi can do is the result of a Zzaburi spell. IMO by
>following the logical laws of their caste, the non-Zzaburi
>can become powerful in their own way.

        Another good point, and one I wasn't thinking about at all (although I can see the farmers needing magical help to deal with disease and bugs). It occurs to me that Horal might not only have very high scores in combat abilities but also have been "tapped out" of all sorts of things -- fear, uncertainty, self-preservation, etc. The very oldest Brithini warriors are going to be barely human, I'd think, and pretty unstoppable.

>>If
>>you're draining your Farmers of their health and vigor, what good is their
>>immortality?
>
>They have all the time in the world to recover.

        Is there a spell to tap fatigue?

        Anyway, to sum up the responses -- veneration and "congregational" activities are Malkioni activities, arising from the later teaching of Malkion and having nothing to do with the earlier Laws. The Brithini rely on tapping for extra power and any "community magics" necessary are provided by the Zzabur caste, who, with centuries to build up their skills, are able to create effects with extremely broad coverage and long duration. Does that about cover it?

Peter Larsen