Cambridge

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:26:32 gmt

> They didn't get rid of wearing gowns in the town > until the 1960s.

And in many colleges, wearing them for Formal hall (a weekly meal) was still compulsory when I was there.

> There's the old story (probably apocryphal) of a > student ....demanding a
flagon of ale and bread,

In the version I knew, it was a bottle of wine.

> ...then three weeks later getting fined for not wearing a sword.

The fine was levied as he exited the exam hall, and exactly covered the cost of the wine.

> But, if you've ever seen their graduation ceremony, no bizaare medievalism
is too far-fetched.

Been there. Done that. And sadly, the chap presiding over the ceremony obviously didn't understand the Latin he was reciting. I did: I know that I got blessed in the name of the Father and the Daughter and the Holy Spirit :)

Now, there's an idea! Would your Sog City mob do ceremonies in a language they didn't understand, with mistakes having rather more significant results?