Raven Banner Re: carrion birds

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:39:09 -0400

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Gareth Martin wrote:
> Also in KoDP we see the EWF era Ravin Banner, sacred to Humakt, that
> guarantees victory in battle, but cost's the bearer his/her life.
>
> (I wonder how to translate this to HW rules. What does the banner
> actually do?)
>
> -Adept

As a rules question, I've moved it here. Lots of options too:

There are a few ways to do it. It could allow a special bonus to Fyrd Combat based on either the power of the daimon in the banner (Say, 5w3) which can augment the entire fyrd (no multiple target penalty as it targets 1 fyrd) BUT means the banner bearer has DOUBLE that as _penalty_ and must lead the battle from the front line. He's probably dead -- but only probably. Or it allows the banner wearer to augment the entire fyrd with his Close Combat or Relationship to Clan (how much they care about him...) but I'd prefer the banner bearer to be a warrior rather than 'everyone's favorite doddering uncle with his Clan Relationship: 10w2' holding the banner

Or I could do it as a ritual. The man holding the banner WILL die in the battle -- its a sacrifice and a powerful one. +10 to all close combat for the fyrd for the duration of the battle or +1 per 5 points of Close Combat skill (thus, using a weaponthane is best)

Of course, if you use the 'sacrifice ability' rules, the weilder of the banner can sacrifice ALL his Close Combat (but keeps it till the battle is over) and use it to augment the entire fyrd (but has to take a penalty based on number of targets as this could be a truly rude number. A 10w close combat would be a +60... but if its against a fyrd of 250 and it has to be extended for a few hours, that cuts the bonus down a long way. <-- I don't like this menthod.

Jeff