Re: Re: carrion birds

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:12:33 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Jeff wrote:

> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Peter Larsen wrote:
>
> > The statistics are needed though, when the opposing side has magic
> in
> > the same league. For instance when the Lunars are storming Boldhome,
> and
>
> Then they cancel out, I think.

So the emperor and his magicians could nullify the magic of the banner, but be occupied with that, and not be able to carry the battle with their magical supremancy. That's certainly one way for it to go.

> > the defenders have a champion of the Houselhold of Death carries the
> > banner to battle, I'm going to have to have some figures.
>
> Why? Its more story. While I think that the statistics are useful, I
> think that when you're dealing with armies and masses of magic, one
> should rely on story rather than the clatter of dice.

The problem is that I don't really run my games as a storyteller. I like the results to surprise me too, but I also want to understand what's going on. Just deciding which would make the best story is not my style in RPG, I'm afraid.

> > I'm sure the banners magic will ensure victory, though it can be of
> > phyrric proportions, unless really strong magic is present to
> counter /
> > dispell the power of the banner.
>
> Then they cancel out. Your blue monkey neutralizes my red
> swizzlestick. Unless its considered astronomically powerful, at the
> large-battle-scale of things, most things are pretty much equal.

Hmm... I'd like to have some figures for the magical strenght on each side. Gaining the magical supremancy over the battlefield is rather analogous to the modern contest for air-superiority. The side with the weaker magic can still win, but it will be costly.

> > So I basically need to know in what league the banners dweomer is.
> And
>
> Its something from KODP that many players of HW like. Its not exactly
> something from 'offical' continuity. I fear that things don't get
> handed out on a platter all that often...

I understand that. It's just such a cool idea that I'll have to integrate it to my campaign. It fit's so nicely with the Household of Death.

I'm also just looking for ideas and inspiration, not offiscial absolutes.

> In my own opinion, its better to rely on your own judgement and write
> ones own grimoire. The Abiding Book, afterall, was only written once.
>
> > incidentally in what league is the Crimson Emperor's sorcery (as the
> > Sartarites see it) when he's fighting abroad.
>
> We have no idea.

Hmm... parhaps the upcoming Lunar book will nail some values on it? The again, I can always fall back on Dragon Pass the boardgame, and fudge up numbers from there. Thanks for all the ansvers, guys.

        -Adept