Re: Re: Tricksters Leaving the path

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:26:03 -0700

Bryan Thexton says to

me:
>> When you're called by Eurmal, you are called by Eurmal. No
>One Can Make
>> You Do Anything is fine in theory, but when a god is knock knock
>knocking
>> on the door of your soul, saying "no" may be far worse than
>anything saying
>> "yes" will do to you.
>>
>I would view it as: you are a trickster by nature. If you follow
>Eurmal you get magic to help and protect you, and you have a degree
>of protection in the social structure. If you follow anyone else you
>*will* break rules, *will* commit impious acts, and consequently will
>get punished.

        This is really a "chicken and egg" distinction. Does the god call you, or are you driven to the god? TR makes it pretty clear what the Sartari belive (i.e. the god calls), but the Truth of the matter may be very different (and your game may vary, regardless). In any case, for certain individuals, Eurmal offers the only hope for protection and power. Poor kids.

>As to staying on the path, I would guess that before anyone
>voluntarily takes a trickster along on a quest they get them
>thoroughly bribed, intimidated, or both. I'm sure that many
>tricksters take great, great, glee from demanding odd seeming
>rewards....which may be inconsequential or may be one part of a
>larger scheme. You know, something like "I want a keg of beer, the
>chief's best tunic, a used bit and bridle, the hides of 27 mice, a
>broken cauldron, and the right to sing a song in the clan hall every
>windsday for a season."

        It's also possible Eurmal has a more "personal" relationship with his worshippers, and, when they ask for weird crap, it's Eurmal talking. It occurs to me that "Eurmal,s talking" might be an Orlanthi term for a person who's stuck their foot in their mouth.

Peter Larsen