Re: Humakt's Raven Banner

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:16:32 +0100

David Dunham wrote:

>> When I used the Raven Banner (which is a concept older than KODP)

> If memory's correct, the original was called "Landwaster" and was
> owned by the Earl of the Orkneys.

IIRC, King Harald Hardrada bore it at the Battle of Stamford Bridge (which he lost, and died at). "Landwaster" was said to have this (rather fortunate) property: though it was normally a blank white banner, when unfurled before a battle, the image of a black raven would appear on it if the Vikings were going to win the day.

King Harald's mail shirt was called Emma, BTW.

I thought you'd all like to know that.

Cheers, Nick