Re: Humakt's Raven Banner

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:56:34 +0100

plarsen_at_... wrote:
> It occurs to me that the Raven Banner is a little odd -- I mean, what does
> Humakt have to do with victory? Surely Vingkot or Orlanth are better choices.
> Maybe the Raven Banner, if you feel the need to explain it does not grant
> victory but death.

A good point. Of course, magic items don't come with instruction booklets and guarantees (except for Mostali magic items). The idea that the Raven Banner 'guarantees victory' may be a conclusion based on observation of its effect in the past, rather than a statement of its inherent properties. Perhaps it 'merely' greatly increases the amount of killing your side can do, or makes them much more fearsome to behold. If this effect was sufficient to have given victory in all* known battles, then it might have been interpreted or described as 'guaranteeing victory'.

*Is an Orlanthi 'guarantee' reliable only 85% of the time?