RE: Re: This may seem stupid but

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 08:33:37 -0500 (CDT)

Graham, Andrew Graham says:

> > What is this about John? Do tell, it sounds fascinating. The
> > Heortlings
> > don't eat with a knife??

Surely you've heard the tale "Why Orlanth Doesn't Use a Knife?"

It seesm that the Chief of the Storm Tribe was eating at a feast and Eurmal was looking to cause trouble. He said to the King of the Gods "You are a slave."

Orlanth stopped eating and laid down his golden fork and knife (taken from the Evil Emperor's own table). "What do you mean," he said slowly, and a hush fell over the hall.

"Well, great king," said Trickster, "that meat looks good, but without your cutlery you would starve." Then he grinned, impudently. Ernalda leaned over to speak to her husband, but she was too slow; thunderclouds were gathering.

"Fool," said Orlanth, "I am Chief of the Storm Tribe, and No One Can Make Me Do Anything!" And he tore into his meat with teeth, as Yinkin and he used to do when they were children.

"Once is no big deal," grinned Eurmal. "Slave."

"What!" shouted Orlanth. "I will show you! I will never use a knife to cut meat again!" And so he didn't, and the knives were banished from the feasting hall, except for Humakt's, because, after all, are you going to take it from him? And that's why Orlanthi don't use knives to eat (some use very sharp and broad forks, though.)

The Esrolians think this is a very dumb story.

Peter Larsen