Re: Re: Campaign characters

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:41:06 -0400

ian_hammond_cooper_at_... wrote:

> We used to have a Humakti - but he sadly(joyfully?) died at the
> swords of the Empire in the Firebull clan rebellion. So now we are
> half-and-half, which I figure as about right.

Just as long as the adventures are half-and-half. Our LM was grumbling that we were doing too much combat and he was right -- but those were the plot lines that the heroes elected to follow up. But hey, its raining fish and that's a change of pace (its something being play tested for Sartar Rising).

> Of course the supporting characters are far more of a mix - but
> generally they seem designed to even out a hero - so warriors have
> healers and talkers, while talkers have warriors etc. with a small
> group this works well as it means our 'band' can cope withe most
> eventualities even if an individual hero cannot.

Very true, though many of the supporting characters are wives, husbands, uncles and everyone's favorite terrifying grandmother - Nanny Gorin (a lovely creation I admit freely to have stolen from Dave Hall's Greydogs - thanks, Dave). Eventually, the Vingan will figure out who the handsome stranger is. Eventually.

> We also have a leader level narrator character Harstal - leader of
> our band - Jonrik's Avengers.

Brotherhood of the Azure Shield (I was able to talk them out of a Black Company motif, thank god) -- we're Ranvald's men. We have the Azure Shield and we're not afraid to use it. Just wait till we get the Viridian Spear. =)

> Somewhat like Jeff we have moved on from clan based cattle-raiding,
> feuding, moots and the like were outlawed (for a crime we did not
> commit) and are now working for the rebellion (queue A-team music).
>
> Ian Cooper

We most DEFINITELY committed the crime -- heroquesting and militarization with malice afore-thought. When, after about 2-3 seasons of preparation, the Cyrling clan fell upon the Black Oaks under the cover of night. Battle ensued as the heroes tripped over the Black Horse mercenaries hired by the perfidious Black Oaks. In the morning, the fyrd's and heroes clashed. The preparations made by the enemy were... insufficient to withstand their ancient enemies and the red rooster crowed on the chief's hall. When the smoke cleared, there were few survivors.

Sadly, King Blackmoor and the local authorities have taken them to court in at Colymar moot. This is "so not good."

Jeff

"Cataphracti? I know that word. Its bad right?" - Odaylan Hunter just before the '3-1 Cavalry Overrun' happened