Re: Bilini cults & more

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:15:44 +1200

Gian

> > IFWW and the Second Son are among the defining myths of the
> > Heortling cultures.

>What is this second son stuff referring to? Sorry, but I miss the
>reference.

The "Second Son" is Hengall, the Second Son of Vingkot. He taught the secret of the Star Heart to Heort which helped him win the I Fought We Won. The actual myth is in KoS p89-90.

>Further I have been wondering for a decade about the origin of the
>invisible Orlanth cult in Carmania.

Nothing official has been published. IMO it came about when Saranko was among the Brolians and noticed their tradition of Tarumath (High Storm). He studied it and created his own magical tradition in mockery of the Magi (where the Magi use glowing wands, his cultists use swords, where the Magi study the Sun for omens, his cultists study the weather and so forth).

Normally the Hierophant would issue a fatwa condemning Saranko's teachings and that would be the end of the matter, the cult and Saranko himself. But both Saranko and the Hierophant share the same mother, Yolanela, who is intent on causing trouble in Carmania to restore her own brand of Dark Witchery to power. To cause division among the Magi, she has been invading the dreams of the hierophant and reduced him to a mere pawn through extremely vivid dreams. Hence the Hierophant will not move against his half-brother.

This is IMO. Nick has a different interpretation about Yolanela's hijinks up on his webpage.

--Peter Metcalfe