RE: Invisible Orlanth & Yolanela

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:45:59 -0400

Nick wrote:

> True, but I *do* like Peter's "unofficial" account and would use it myself (along with his other Carmanian innovations).

I want to second this. I used bits of IO info that Peter posted on the digest a while back for my Carmanian game, and it works quite well for me. It makes sense, has good flavor, and provides good game hooks.

I would also like to add that IMG the cult of Invisible Orlanth situation has a sinister overtone that my players have found worrying. I think that Saranko did start the cult as a jab at his brother, but he is now in over his head for a couple of reasons. The first is his mom and her plots for an Empire of Gloom revival. The second (again, IMG) is that the cult fits a powerful role as the polar opposite of the cult of Idovanus. Invisible Orlanth = Mastery-Disorder-Darkness (the world under storm-clouds)-violence (Storm). Idovanus = Mastery-Order-Light-Intellect. They are two fundamentally different potential foundations for mythic world-views in the Western Reaches - and powerful opposites held this close are bound to generate beaucoup sparks!

Basically, what appears to be a handy tool for defense against Charg for some (Satrap Destrino) or a jab at a hated brother (Saranko) turns out to be something altogether more sinister. I haven't figured out how I am going to play it yet, but I feel some connection to Natha (Vengance, Banance, Dancer upon Ruins) here... Will Yolanella manage to pervert IO to her aims? Or will the cult turn out to be a force for long overdue change (catharsis)? Is IO really Daak the Stranger? <laugh> I am looking foward to finding out...

~Kevin
http://www.ipass.net/~kpaul63/carmania