Re: Viking Cleanliness

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:18:23 -0500 (CDT)

Quoting epweissengruber_at_...:

> My understanding is that for "Barbarians" the Vikings were pretty
> serious about maintaining the cleanliness of their bodies and their
> garments
>
> (at least well-off Scandinavians)
>
> probably better at it than the average "civilized" citizen of
> Medieval or 18th century London
>
> Cities ... decadent pits of evil that they are

Yeah, yeah, yeah, tell it to the Moon Woman, bub. Geez, I haven't seen this much traffic on a manth-old offhanded joke since, well I don't know when. Of course, one of the beauties of Glorantha is that all societies are welcome to deride each other as smelly and dirty, and they are all perfectly correct! (or incorrect, but I prefer to accentuate the positive (that's a joke)). Heavens alone know what the Mostali and Aldryami think of the grubby humans.... The Uz, of course, like Pelorians and Heortlanders; their separate "dirtinesses" mean subtly different "tangs" on the tongue.

Peter Larsen