Re: West, Sorcery and Chaos

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 14:59:51 EDT

Mikko:

<< How aware of chaos are people? >>

      Very aware. Note that a large chaos nest - Dilis Swamp - lies right next to the kingdom of Loskalm (indeed, by some definitions, it lies inside the kingdom).

<< And what is chaos in the western worldview? >>

     Chaos is the breakdown of the natural order; the end of all laws, physical, natural or moral.

<< One thing that chaos is, I'd think, that it's also a versatile energy
source. I loved the reference in G:IttHW about the ruling class of sorcerers who use chaos to power their magic. >>

      Burn the heretics! Chaos as versatile energy source is not the usual Malkioni view, although, yes, there are a few groups in the West which believe this (much as not all people in central Genertela are heortlings).

Peter:

<<In a draft of the Loskalmi chapter, I once had a group of Loskalmi Wizards that attempted to nuke the Kingdom of War with chaotic magic but failed disastrously (and the matter hushed up). The order is suppressed but a copy of their
tome "the Book of Dead Names" (i.e. what Necronomicon was meant to mean) is missing! Even if it is still true (I
really created it as a plot hook more than a general Loskalmi tendency), >>

     FWIW, I don't think that is still true (but, of course, I don't have the final say, so I could be wrong).

Forward the Golden Banner of Flame!

     Trotsky