Re: Re: why is everyone so down on Arkat?

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 08:51:17 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 2 May 2001 gamartin_at_... wrote:

> Uurgh, I hate that. the real world has that problem in spades; in
> RPG I;d much rather just get the straight dirt and know that I am
> making informed decisions, instead of trying to piece together which
> bits are/may or are not/may not be "true". I have no interest in
> excavating another writers arcane easter egg hunt. I don;t mind the
> game world having mul;tiple and contradictopry information, but it
> annoyes me when a bunch opf contradictory stories become your ONLY
> information.

What's the alternative? Play Vampire where everytime you come with any vaguely good idea or hint of backstory some smart ass says 'oh that can't be true because in obscure book you've never seen it says different'? I LIKE the fact that Glorantha ain't set in stone. I REALLY like the fact that even most of the bits that are can be disregarded with 'that's a matter of opinion, not a statement of truth' or 'yeah, its true of that tribe over there, but we do this instead' or whatever.

By having no one great truth, you are free to create your own world and engage your own imagination. Embrace the vagueness!

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net