Re: Outlawry & Orlanth

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 17:11:39 -0000

And he spent much of that period having a _miserable_ time of it.

> carries this restriction, only outlawry that stems from
> the 'bootless' crimes - the crimes for which the whole community
will
> experience divine wrath unless the perpetrator is found. In this
case
> outlawry protects the comunity and the withdrawal of Orlanth's magic
> is part of the punishment.

There are two types of Outlawry -- lesser outlawry and outlawry. The details are in Thunder Rebels. In a lesser one, you are banished for a time. In the full version, you're kicked out of the community until they see fit to let you return - if ever.

> Even if your players were outlawed without the promise of return,
did
> they commit a crime of this order. If not I expect they can still
> worship Orlanth. However without community support such worship will
> be harder when they want to do something.

This is the Heortlings we're talking about. Right and wrong don't enter into it that much. They left the clan as scapegoats so that the Lunar reprisals would not fall upon their friends and family.

> Even if your heroes were given no hope of return I think that this
> is the more important factor - their outlawry is still lesser, just
> permanent (but maybe if the Lunars are overthrown).

I'm not sure if it it works that way. The Clan had to get rid of them magically as well as socially -- it was a rather -extreme- situation.

> Could you clarify the nature of the 'full' outlawry?

Its covered in Thunder Rebels. But the critical penalty in the write up was 'you cannot call upon Orlanth'

Jeff