Re: Re: Outlawry & Orlanth

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:43:54 -0700

> > Even if your players were outlawed without the promise of return,
> did
> > they commit a crime of this order. If not I expect they can still
> > worship Orlanth. However without community support such worship will
> > be harder when they want to do something.
>
> This is the Heortlings we're talking about. Right and wrong don't
> enter into it that much. They left the clan as scapegoats so that the
> Lunar reprisals would not fall upon their friends and family.

This is plainly a "political" outlawry, and I would not penalize the players by removing their magic. Without knowing the particulars of the outlawry, unless they actually dis secret murder etc, the ceremony to outlaw them would fail.

> > Even if your heroes were given no hope of return I think that this
> > is the more important factor - their outlawry is still lesser, just
> > permanent (but maybe if the Lunars are overthrown).
>
> I'm not sure if it it works that way. The Clan had to get rid of them
> magically as well as socially -- it was a rather -extreme- situation.

This sounds more like a magical Kin-severing (ala Humakt) than Outlawry. On the mundane side, the clan can say "nope, we have declared them to be outlaws, catch 'em if you can". On the magical side, the gods/spirits/spells will not make a connection between the "outlaws" and the clan because their kinship has been severed - there is no magical link between the clan and the outlaws. This is probably enough for the Lunars, who may not know better (it depends, of course, on if the Lunars involved are Tarshite types or Dara Happans...

If you conclude that the outlaws really *are* outlawed from the Storm Tribe, then be sure to take their group wyter away from them as well. It, just like people, won't want to be associated with them.

> > Could you clarify the nature of the 'full' outlawry?
>
> Its covered in Thunder Rebels. But the critical penalty in the write
> up was 'you cannot call upon Orlanth'

I think he meant "what were the circumstances behind this action by the clan", rather than "what do the rules say"...

RR