RE: Re: Outlawry & Orlanth

From: Richard, Jeff <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 14:30:26 -0700

>> This is the Heortlings we're talking about. Right and wrong
don't

>> enter into it that much. They left the clan as scapegoats so
that the

>> Lunar reprisals would not fall upon their friends and family.
>This is plainly a "political" outlawry, and I would not penalize
the players

>by removing their magic. Without knowing the particulars of the
outlawry,

>unless they actually dis secret murder etc, the ceremony to outlaw
them

>would fail.

I might disagree with Roderick on this. I say "might" because I don't know how this developed during game play - however, if a clan is willing to expel the players, not just lesser outlawry, but actually permanently expel them from the community, then I'd say they cannot call upon the gods of that community. Outlawry is the greatest punishment the Heortlings can inflict upon their own people - it is effectively a death sentence.

I'm uncertain whether lesser outlawry severs one from the gods of the community - maybe it does on a temporary basis, maybe it doesn't at all.

Jeff