Re: Re: Outlawry & Orlanth

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 09:51:51 +0100

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> I see a difference between severing a connection to the wyter(s) of the
> clan/community (lesser outlawry), and severing all connections to Orlanth &
> the rest of the Storm Tribe (Greater outlawry). What Jeff (the *other* one)
> described sounded more like a political decision ("get those guys away from
> us before the Lunars come down on *our* necks for what *they* do) than a
> case of "they have broken the most sacred of our laws, there can be no other
> punishment than exile, even death is too good for them."

Correct, it was a political decision.
BTW, the Chief exiled himself, too. He is now the leader of the outlaws; we have formed a Hero Band.
We all have our clan and bloodline relationships intact. It says so right here on my character sheet!

The clan told a lie to protect itself.
At Convulsion Greg said that the Orlanthi are one of the few cultures that include the Trickster WITHIN society. Perhaps being able to perform such tricks ('outlawry' without dire consequences) is one of advantages of including the Trickster?

Interestingly, a Trickster has now joined the outlaws. It all begins to make sense...