Re: Outlawry & Orlanth

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 10:21:08 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:
> Correct, it was a political decision.
> BTW, the Chief exiled himself, too. He is now the leader of the
> outlaws; we have formed a Hero Band.

Uh, I think that Benedict is referrring to our game - which took a similar turn of events to Jeffs. The heroes were made the scapegoats for the clan's rebel activities. Our assumption was that it was outlawry for political motives. While TR only explicitly mentions this as being for tribal outlawry our assumption was that this 'political' concept applied.

> Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> I see a difference between severing a connection to the wyter(s)
>of the clan/community (lesser outlawry), and severing all
connections to Orlanth & > > the rest of the Storm Tribe (Greater outlawry).

Agreed. I think Greater outlawry is not just from your clan but from the Storm Tribe as well and is reserved for the crimes listed in TR asbeing so great that they cannot be compensated i.e. bootless. And you may have to face agents of reprisal as well.

>What Jeff (the *other* one) described sounded more like a political
>decision ("get those guys away from us before the Lunars come down
>on *our* necks for what *they* do) than a case of "they have broken
>the most sacred of our laws,

Agreed - I do believe Roderick and I are in synch on this one - if its political its lesser - you are still in the Storm Tribe, but you have to live without the community support of your clan.

This was why I was trying to clarify - what did the heroes do - commit foul crime against sacred law, or become a political scapegoat.

Without this distinction we could be in the interesting position that Kallyr and Bryan might be classified as greater outlaws and loose Storm Tribe magic.

Incidentally if Jeff's characters are starting a new clan it is also reminiscent of a bloodline splitting off to form a new clan, so as to prevent kinstrife.

Ian Cooper