Re: Further thoughts on Glorantha

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 13:35:20 +0100

David asked:
> > How do other people deal [cope] with the colossal
> > amount of information.

As I discovered, there is surprisingly little information, in many cases. Insane? Well, many of our sources cover large areas, and so are spread rather thin. The excellent RQ3 Genertela book, for example, didn't even mention things bellow the scale of a largish town. There are places on the old Dragon Pass map (c 1975) which, to my knowledge, have never been referred to ever again. All we know is their name, location and a one word description of their character.

Nick_at_... wrote:
> A few techniques I use:

[and I do too, but let me note in particular:]

> 2) Work on Projects. Research the stuff you need to
> know for the games you're going to run. Don't just dive
> in at random -- if find you're getting interested in the
> Grazelanders, plan a scenario where you meet them, or
> play them, or steal from them, or trespass in their
> myths. Then work out what else you need to make it
> happen.

You can see my 'project' at
http://www.indigost.demon.co.uk/FireBull/index.html which might seem large.

But, all I had to go on was what was referred to here: http://www.indigost.demon.co.uk/FireBull/Acknowledgements.html

That is, I knew the tribe's name, some of its clan names, the names of some of its important personages, its rough location, and a couple of places in its territory. Most of the information came from searching the Glorantha Digest archives.

I really had very little information to go on. Even less of it was 'official'.

<grumble>
Unfortunately, Issaries Inc. apparently did less checking, so the few more snippets about the Sambari in forthcoming publications (SR?) will be inconsistent with what we know from HotB, for example. </grumble>