Re: the fyrd

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 10:52:08 -0400

Peter Larsen wrote:

> I may be totally wrong here, but I think the fyrd is not so much
> a group
> of fighters but a situation. When most of the fighting adults are
> gatherered in the traditional manner to defend the tula under the
> umbrella
> of the fyrd wyter, they are the fyrd. You could take many of those
> same
> people and muster them under the war banner of the clan (with its owm
> wyter) and fight a very similar battle not defending the tula, and
> they
> would not "technically" be the fyrd.
>
> Peter Larsen

A good point -- one that had not occured to me. That means they would be the clan 'warband'

Of course, for drama and pathos, we did a flashback to the defence of Boldhome. The Cyrling Clan fyrd marched off to war, leaving behind the old, the fearful and the young. Wifes, mothers, grandfathers and children watched their kin march away to war.

Few returned. Not a dry eye in the house.

Jeff