Re: the fyrd

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 15:46:01 -0000

Jeff the third on the left, with the nervous tic and the flail-for-the-ungodly?

> I guess. I wonder a little about "wyter overload" -- how many
wyters does
> an average clan have? Is there just one war band wyter? Might there
be the

One for the warband (which MIGHT be the fyrd's... I'm not sure)

> standard of Bridie the Swift, the favorite War-Hero of the clan used
for
> most off-tula fighting, the coat of Eorl the Cow-thief, worn by the
head of
> any raiding party that wants to come back alive, the wyter that grew
out of

Cattle raiding doesn't usually involve a wyter. Its too casual -- unless you have a hero/warband based around it.

> the spirit of Harvald Spit-in-the-Eye, who lend his strength to
attacks
> that come out of a desire for spite and revenge? Or is it pretty
much fyrd
> and warband?

Most of the above would be local godlings/heroes/daimoines who would be sacrificed to and their favor sought before doing the things that they help with -- this is covered under rituals. Thanks for the suggestions for new rituals and petty godlings for my other clans to use!

There was a discussion about this a few months back. Remember, a wyter is worshipped and supported. You can only support a very few meaningful communities in your life. To be a part of a wyter, you must be able to provoide it with total commitment and meaningful support. Most Heortlings seem to have Clan and profession (eg warband, temple or guild) wyters as well as possible bloodline or stead wyter. The wyter for Tribe and Kingdom seem to be more amorphous and require less support -- or they may be derived from the support of the underlying wyter.

For my own game, we have clan and warband wyters. Bloodline wyter have been found as well -- but no stead wyter (at least, not any that are big enough to be noticiable in game terms. A stead wyter's going to be relatively weak 15w + membership commitment being base strength)

> >Of course, for drama and pathos, we did a flashback to the defence
of
> >Boldhome. The Cyrling Clan fyrd marched off to war, leaving behind
the
> >old, the fearful and the young. Wifes, mothers, grandfathers and
> >children watched their kin march away to war.
>
> You could have a neat scenario where the men musted and went
off to (say,
> Boldhome or Grizzly Peak) and never came home. Those left behind
have to
> muster against impossible odds under the clan's rightfully fearsome
fyrd
> wyter. "We've got to make this band of misfits warriors by next
Clayday!"
> and "Champion's Battle, hell; let's see how they like the Weaver's
battle!"

Heh. Point taken. But the heroes are now sort of exiled and trying to build a clan/bloodline from scratch. Its a neat turn of direction.

But the Hidden Shield clan has an incredible throwweight for a grup its size: Its about 80% warriors/weaponthanes/magicians. Now to go and find Ranvald's Spear and stick it in some BHT meldeks.

Jeff