Re: Re: (Arkat)"Hello Glorantha" from a 'new' player

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 14:18:58 -0500 (CDT)

Gareth Martin says:

> how about...
> The War of the Word, featuring fears from LM around involuntary
> induction in the Lunar Way through reading. Not only is introducing
> fairly widespread literacy against tradition, it actively subborns
> the very forces it is being implement to command. Thus, even should
> the newly literate orlanthi succeed in destroying the empire, the
> result would merely be the acceleration of penetration of Lunar ideas
> in orlanthi society. LM turns militant as it seeks to suppress the
> heretic and his minions...

Good lord! It's Wycliffe and Luther in Glorantha! It occurs to me that wide-spread Heortling literacy would tend to produce "definitive" myths that would make Heortling myth uniform, something like the Godlearners monomyth. We don't know why the Illiteracy Plague happened, do we? Maybe that's how Agrath kills off the gods (Heortling gods at least). Of course, other cultures don't have this problem, so it's probably wrong, wrong, wrong.

Peter Larsen

And what might the monomyth of the Jeff Learners be? That Peter is the Evil Emperor is Jefflanthi myths and Jeff is Rebelius Moderatorus of the Petrological Scriptures? Call the Gift Carriers, now! (Sound like an e-business.... "Giftcarriers.com. What world-destroying philosophical movement do you need quashed?"