Re: Argraths

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 11:38:30 EDT

Peter Mcaveney:

<< >And even if Argrath does triumph, he doesn't have to do it anything like
>the

 way he did in KoS, nor does have to be the tyrant that KoS portrays >him as  once he's on the throne.

 I heartily agree with everything you said - 'cept that last bit. >>

      So you're saying that Argrath has to be unpleasant in everyone's campaign, even if he's a PC, and even if that's no fun for the players? Surely not...?

<< I remember a passage from Joseph Campbell's "Hero With a Thousand Faces" where
 he describes what happens to the hero in his/her elder years. (Don't have my copy handy so I cannot give a page number.) The hero is fine while she struggles against the tyrant, but once victory is hers she becomes the tyrant Holdfast, who clings to the power she has acquired. She becomes, in the end, the villain.>>

      Certainly this is a valid option for a campaign - indeed, I rather like the tyrannical Argrath of KoS and the obvious 'Argrath Must Die' plots that would likely be the climax to such a campaign. But just because Campbell says something, doesn't mean it has to be that way in everyone's Glorantha - after all, he was a mythologian, not a roleplayer ;-). It should be an option, of course, but not the only option, IMO.

Trotsky