Glorantha names

From: Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City) <"Posselt,>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 11:25:27 -0500

Thanks to Adept for replying to me...

Adept says:
>This topic is certainly an interesing one, and one I would hope to have
>some guidance with from Issaries.

I would too, btw. I doubt Issaries wants to prescribe an exact correspondance w/ RW cultures, but for beginning players a summary list (on the we site?) of indicative names from various cultures would be most helpful... If anyone from Issaries is willing (Roderick?) I'd be happy to put together some lists for Issaries approval and reuse.

In any case, going on to the languages Adept lists:

>Being from Scandinavia, I use mostly old norse and islandic
>names for my
>Heortlings. I use old norse as Stormtongue, infact.
>
>For the Tarshites and their type of orlanthi I've been wondering on
>using old germanic names.

It'd be great if we could make some distinction between various major Dragon Pass-region Orlanthi groups (Tarsh vs. Sartar vs. Sairdite, at least). Norse vs. germanic (Gothic?) would make sense. Adept, what about Ralios, etc.

>For old solar names I use ancient greece, and again, I use ancient
>greece for Firespeech.

Um, good point. The Sun-dome-templars all speak Firespeech, correct? In any case, that does create a conflict of image between the Pelandans and the Templars, both of whom evoke greece in different ways.

Adept, if you're using greek for the templars, what would you do with the Pelandans?

>For the west my current favorite is latin, but I'll be happy to be
>convinced otherwice.

I'm reserving the west for various romance names - french, spanish, etc. I'm not sure what each language should go to. Safelster would obviously be Italian, I'm not sure about Loskalm and Seshnela - maybe Spanish and French respectively? Brithini would have latin names, for me.

>For the Dara Happans and the New Pelorian speaking lunars, I'm still at
>a bit of a loss. The empire has such clear Persian influences I've
>wondered if Persian would make a good New Pelorian, or should
>I adopt it
>as the language of Dara Happa.
>Any comments extreamly welcome. Unfortunately I don't own GRoY or
>Entekosiad, so I can't draw inspiration from the names therein.

I don't own them either, but having looked at them, they seemed to have a lot of old Fertile crescent-style names. But maybe that's a false assumption on my part.

>I used old Celtic (Irish) names for old Esrolian names, which propably
>says something of my theme for Earthspeech, I just don't know what yet.
>
>...and so on.

Celtic does seem evocative of the Esrolians, maybe I should shift.

> -Adept

- This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. - If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.