Re: Re: Argraths

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:56:40 -0700

David sagely notes, re Joseph Campbell:

>While I don't object to your political correctness, changing the
>gender isn't really correct here. Most of HWaTF is about male myths.
>There's a great collection of female myths, "Fearless Girls, Wise
>Women, and Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the
>World" by Kathleen Ragan, which I recommend. It should be a good
>source for people looking for feminine heroquests.

Campbell's treatment of women's myth, and of women in general, is pretty substandard. His own mythology of the journey of the hero is built around a strict division of the male/female realms.

Glorantha has mostly ignored this irritation (thankfully), but occasionally we get Campbellian tidbits like this one:

"The man's function is to act.
 The woman's function is to be.
 She's "It". She's Mother Earth.

reflected in things like the Heortling vision of the Earth Goddesses.

John

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

"The Apollo moon launch is widely known among  Papua New Guinea villagers and continues to evoke  discussion within a mythic context, including the understanding  that the moon landing was achieved on the basis of secret  knowledge in traditional New Guinea myths."