Re: Glorantha names

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:35:50 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City) wrote:

> Thanks to Adept for replying to me...

It's an important topic to me. I'm not good at making up imaginary names, so I like to use onomastikon and suchlikes. And for that, I need to have a language to use.

<snip>
> It'd be great if we could make some distinction between various major Dragon
> Pass-region Orlanthi groups (Tarsh vs. Sartar vs. Sairdite, at least).
> Norse vs. germanic (Gothic?) would make sense. Adept, what about Ralios,
> etc.

Ralios... I wish I knew :( Danish? I really have no clue. What did David Dunham use?

> >For old solar names I use ancient greece, and again, I use ancient
> >greece for Firespeech.
> >
> Um, good point. The Sun-dome-templars all speak Firespeech, correct? In
> any case, that does create a conflict of image between the Pelandans and the
> Templars, both of whom evoke greece in different ways.

I think the Praxian sundomers have a mundane language too, but being pious they tend to pick _old_, holy names that are actually words in firespeech.

> Adept, if you're using greek for the templars, what would you do with the
> Pelandans?

I use ancient greek for Firespeech. I seem to recall the Praxian sundomers speak a dialect that was at least originally kerofinelan, or at least it has been influenced by it.

The Sartarite sundomers speek Sartarite, but even they, I think, increasingly use names derived from Firespeech.

The languages of the Empire are a great problem for me...

> >For the west my current favorite is latin, but I'll be happy to be
> >convinced otherwice.
> >

> I'm reserving the west for various romance names - french, spanish, etc.
> I'm not sure what each language should go to. Safelster would obviously be
> Italian, I'm not sure about Loskalm and Seshnela - maybe Spanish and French
> respectively? Brithini would have latin names, for me.

Ah, nice. Infact I suppose I'll end up using Classical Latin as the language of Danmalastan, and so the language of sorcery.

Various latin-derived languages will work nicely for the west, as you say.

> >For the Dara Happans and the New Pelorian speaking lunars, I'm still at
> >a bit of a loss. The empire has such clear Persian influences I've
> >wondered if Persian would make a good New Pelorian, or should
> >I adopt it
> >as the language of Dara Happa.
> >Any comments extreamly welcome. Unfortunately I don't own GRoY or
> >Entekosiad, so I can't draw inspiration from the names therein.
> >

> I don't own them either, but having looked at them, they seemed to have a
> lot of old Fertile crescent-style names. But maybe that's a false
> assumption on my part.
>

> >I used old Celtic (Irish) names for old Esrolian names, which propably
> >says something of my theme for Earthspeech, I just don't know what yet.
> >
> >...and so on.
>
> Celtic does seem evocative of the Esrolians, maybe I should shift.

A work in progress this... :)

I hope we aren't boring the butt off people with this. Personally I find this very useful in actual running of Glorantha games.

        -Adept