Re: Clearwine and Hill Forts [was Tula]

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 09:38:50 -0000

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> Is this a reference to the celtic style earthworks forts?
Yes

>Isn't the Colymar's Clearwine fort supposed to be such a
>fortification?

Yes, dating from the EWF. By strange conincidence our heroes are in adventuring in Clearwine as we speak, so I have written it up for our game. I used Celtic hill forts as a model, but also remember that in the Storm Realm in TR, Aedin's Wall encircles a 'hill fort' containing Orlanth's stead. IMO this is also a good 'model' for Heortlings who are building hill forts as it is one that they see every hold day. I like to think this spiral shaped single entrance hill-fort is a Heortling fortification pattern. Of course YGMV (and your tribe may vary <g>.

Of course the Colymar found Clearwine - they did not construct it,so the question of resources to build one is somewhat moot. It was orignally a clan center, but when the Colymar fissioned into a tribe many of its buildings would have become clan centers - though I still believe it is dominated by the clan in whose tula it lies (Ernaldor). TR is a good source here for what a clan centre and a tribal centre should contain, and was my primary source when looking for inspiration.

Ian Cooper