Re: Marriage ceremonies

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:49:19 -0700

Andre:

>If two heortlings marry where will the marriage ceremonie held?
>His clans tula?
>Her clans tula?

IMG, usually on the tula of the superior partner, depending on the type of marriage. (This is usually the tula where the couple will live). Or at the lodge of the wealthiest sponsor, by common agreement. If the clans are widely separated, at some commonly agreed holy place or stead midway between the two tulas.

>Who leads the ceremonie?
>Is it a legal ceremonie lead by the Chief? Or by a Lhankoring?
>Or is it a religious ceremonie lead by a priest or priestess? (Which one, or
BOTH?) I believe there's a wide variation, just as there's a wide variety of marriage types. A year-marriage might not have any ceremony at all beyond a declaration at the moot. For more permanent types of marriage, obviously getting as many powerful people to witness and uphold the bond is important, *especially* as marriage is as much a joining of clans as a joining of individuals. If you can get the chief to attend, thats a good sign to all concerned. If you can get him or her to sponsor the feast, so much the better... :)

I don't think that Heortling marriage is a 'sacrament' in the way it is in some parts of our society: its primarily a legal transaction between clans. The ceremony might be accompanied by a sacrifice to ancestors and to a law aspect of Orlanth or LM.

However, calling down the blessing of Orlanth and Ernalda and the ancestors on a new couple is both powerful ritual and a great opportunity for the two clans to meet in celebration, and it often follows the marriage pact. I'd play this as communal worship to Orlanth and Ernalda with associated joint ceremonies to the ancestors of both clans, and a special ceremony to Vela. And once again, there will be a wide degree of variation in local custom and circumstance.

If it's a first marriage for either couple (which if you think of it, will occur in a minority of cases) then there may well be additional (and much more elaborate) ceremony including a full retelling of Orlanth's Wooing of Ernalda.

Marriage can be a full-on heroquest, but that's an entirely different topic.

All IMG of course.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes