Re: Open Seas Ritual

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:05:07 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 10 May 2001 richstella_at_... wrote:

> I'm about to run my first proper game of Hero Wars on Friday evening and
> could do with finding out what people think the Open Seas Ritual actually
> looks like. What has to be done in the way of libations? Music? Dancing?

I view Open Seas as primarily an appeasement thing. Lots of naming of the gods and spirits who rule the oceans over which the ship will travel, sacrifices, bargaining and begging for permission to cross safely.

Those who have not travelled by ship (or possibly just over this sea) would have special, extra rituals to undergo, possibly including a ritual dunking in the ocean so that 'the spirits will know his face'. All designed for maximum amusement of the experienced sailors...

> If anyone has views on the values of resistance involved I'd be very
> interested.

Open seas seems sufficiently widespread that I'd set the resistance really low (14) unless there was a story reason otherwise. I'd give a huge improv penalty (-50?) to anyone who doesn't know the actual ritual though.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net