Re: Re: Open Seas Ritual

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:29:38 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Thom Baguley wrote:

> >could do with finding out what people think the Open Seas Ritual actually
> >looks like. What has to be done in the way of libations? Music? Dancing?
> >
> >If anyone has views on the values of resistance involved I'd be very
> >interested.
>
> Great question. I don't know! However, it guess that the ritual has a core,
> common practice (veneration/prayer?) and many local superstitions tacked on
> - little sacrifices, dances, drumming, singing, "initiation" pranks and so
> on.
>
> Thom

Every ship is supposed to have a shrine with- or at least a holy statue of Dormal, carved from the same wood as the keel of the ship, wasn't it?

I'd sugges one key element in the ritual is filling a vessel (cup, horn, seashell?) the statue is holding with water from under the keel, and not letting it go empty during the voyage (or ever)

        -Adept