Re: Open Seas

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:39:06 -0400

kmnellist_at_... wrote:

> In a message dated 10/05/01 12:50:29, you write:
>
> << 5: Resistance: There is some suggestion that this should be easy
> say
> 14. Personally I think that the resistance is far higher. .>>
>
> I can both agree and disagree here. Since Open Seas is a ritual it is
> easy to
> make it 15WWW but give bonuses for blowing on a conch shell +1,
> playing
> flutes +10, chanting the names of all the sea gods +1each, wearing
> plimsolls
> +1, saying 'pieces of eight' and 'me hearties' +2, etc until you reach
> resistance that is uncannily like 14, or suits you game/story.
>
> Keith N

A re-reading of the ritual set of rules reveals the add-ons are not _QUITE_ that trival. Worse, each extra step involving components involves greater and greater time. Seagoing rituals haven't been implied as being 2-3 day gala festivals.

If I recall correctly, its mentioned in Gods of Glorantha and earlier that it was a simple and easily preformed ritual/spell/whatever.... So, I think sidestepping the Closing is actually a bit easier than one might think -- Dormal's wizard friend was clearly an inspired fellow.

Jeff