Re: Re: Lunar Army article

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:13:26 +1200

Jan Jero wrote:

>In earlier times (I don't know in the Lunar Empire) heavies and line
>infantry was the bulk of the less trained, light infantry was the
>elite, the professionals and the most expert at warfare.

This is at odds with historical experience. To be heavy infantry, one has to have expensive weapons and armour to survive (whereas the lights can do with slings and other cheap weapons) and most infantry provided their own equipment. Ergo the heavy infantry has better status, expertise and professionalism than the light infantry does. The truly noble in the Imperial army rode horses or chariots instead.

--Peter Metcalfe