Re: Re: Lunar Army article

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:36:01 GMT

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> writes:

>Line is referring to the line regiments. Spear mixed with
>archers (700 to 300), capable of open order for movement and
>closed ranks for combat. Intended to hold off any attackers
>and to shoot nearby regiments. Can't skirmish.

...which sounds close to the classical Persian organisation; a line of spearmen in front protecting a mass of archers. In history, though, this failed when confronted by Greek hoplites (these were too well-armoured for the bowmen to disrupt them, and could crash straight through the line of spearmen into the unprotected archers.) The Persian system therefore fell out of use in favour of Greek/Macedonian style phalanges. Dara Happa, on the other hand, seems to have gone in the other direction - and replaced its original hoplite army by a force comprised mostly of Persian-style sparabara troops.

BTW I read "line regiment" as referring to training and morale. You have the elite Guards regiments (a small proportion of the army), you have the Line regiments who form the bulk of your regular forces (the line of battle), then you have a mass of auxiliaries and militia who may be numerous, but aren't worth much.

Stephen