Re: RE: Gloranthan Names

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:05:14 -0400

> One more:
>
> Tradetalk: Esperanto
>
> Stephen

I'd be more willing to believe that tradetalk is a pidgin dialect. These develop to let two (or more) different cultures of more or less equal power communicate. Unlike the non-evolvolving esperanto, its been mentioned in several places that Tradetalk changes the farther away one moves from where you learned it. In several places, its been noted that one has trouble expressing high-end concepts with Tradetalk (which is ignored for the purposes of role-play, of course!) which seems more like a pigdin tongue. The trade-greek used throughout the Mediterranean basin would be an example. In the case of one dominant cultures, the pidgin takes fewer and fewer characteristics of the the languages it contacts though it picks up a lot of loan words. Latin which stayed relatively constant after the empire evolved would be a good example of this (we won't get into english, think...).

Jeff