RE: Gloranthan names (digest 448 & 449)

From: Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City) <"Posselt,>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:11:35 -0700

Discussion between Peter and Stephen:

> > >Brithini: Latin
> >
> >How about Proto Indo-European? Latin seems far too modern to be the
> >language spoken by the Brithini...
>
> The Brithini as a people are not that old and names in PIE do
> not carry the same resonance of great antiquity as latin ones.

Plus, I'd have no idea what a PIE name would sound like...

Stephen says:

> Historically, Sumerian was the national language of Mesopotamia for
> only a short time: after 2000 BC the people there spoke Semitic
> languages (the ancestors of Hebrew and Arabic). However, the priests
> continued to use Sumerian in their prayers and rituals, as a secret or
> sacred language. That suggests that Sumerian would be a perfect match
> for Firespeech - assuming that this is the ancient (Golden Age) and
> "pure" language of Dara Happa.

That's a good point. Really, Aramaic might be the perfect language for common Pelorians. Only trouble here is that we're getting a bit esoteric, from the standpoint of the the players - I'm not sure if they'd automatically recognize the difference between Aramaic and (to see below) Canaanite names.

> I'd suggest that Hebrew is used for the language
> spoken in Dara Happa ... The Darjiini can either speak
> Arabic, or whatever it was that the Philistines spoke, to set up some
> tension between them and the Dara Happans...

That has a nice synchronicity, as the Philistines spoke canaanite, which is essentially the same as Phoenician, which is what the carthaginians spoke.

> One more:
>
> Tradetalk: Esperanto

Or Swahili...

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.