Re: Re: Heortling combat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:10:03 -0700

> At the risk of being a heretic, I am finding all the subdivisions of

Yer a heretic, mate, and we're here to take you away to the re-education center. Come along quietly now, this won't hurt a bit

> various combat types, while extremely useful for military games,
> perhaps a bit too esoteric for my uses, simple heortling that I am.

At the RPG level, there is no reason to worry about the technical details. I'm in the process of statting up the "enemies" for Sartar Rising, including a typical soldier/warrior/tribesman, a "squad leader" and a typical "squad" (usually along the lines of "He leads X warriors", rather than re-doing another set of stats), and a group combat/warfare stat that will tie in to the RPG and the warfare system. When that's done, it's back to the minis rules, where "Heavy Pikemen" or "Peltast" is the equivalent of a keyword. The stats on the Glorantha site were originally for the Stratalibri wargame, which is why they have esoteric notations on them. Wargamers of the Ancients period tend to understand what a Peltast or Hoplite is, and it is a textual shoorthand to the units equipment and tactics.

> I'm up for a game of Zulu Dawn.

With the Heortlings taking the part of Zulus, I assume? I have a hankering to run Zulu/Rorkes Drift myself, or the Siege of Khartoum with Duke Raus of Rone as Gordon and the Praxian tribes as the Mahdist troops. The Lunars in Pavis and Corflu have to send rescue columns along the river, facing duck piracy, newtling insurgents, tribesmen sniping from the cliffs, raids from the deep desert (er, plain)...

RR