Re: Archaeology in Glorantha

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 20:18:43 +1200

Theo Posselt:

>* What are the most famous heirlooms/historical objects in Glorantha
>(especially in Peloria)? I think of Arkat's Unbreakable Sword, the Sword
>and Helm, the Raven Banner, and (I guess) Nysalor's body, but that's about
>it. Bonus points for describing any legendary powers associated with the
>items.

PELORIA: Feathered Cap of Mernita: Imperial regalia. Vestments of Disclosure: "which everyone can see". Imperial Regalia. Sandals of Protection: "keep the pure from touching the impure".

         Imperial Regalia.
Girdle of Command: "its medallion buckle bears the countenance of

         Strength incarnate and brings it to the wearer".  Imperial
         Regalia.
Bow of Domination:  "a wonderful and divine weapon for with it
         a man can reach the sky and from that place draw down the Right of
         domination".  Rumoured to have shot down the Moon.
Low Crown of Rule: "encircles the world like a wall and protects all
         within from the evils outside".  Imperial Regalia.
Orb of Authority: "It gives protection and insight, as well as power
         to rule".  Imperial Regalia.
Scepter of Order: "allows the Emperor to direct the divine regard
         upon whatever he desires, thereby illuminating it and laying
         aside all falsehood which deny the order of Yelm".  Imperial
         Regalia.
Roost of Tholm:  "This great creature is an extension of the Emperor,
         and from its etherial heights can see everything in the world.
         Furthermore, it may be sent anyplace to bear the presence of
         the Emperor into the World".  Imperial Regalia.
Mantle of Sovereignty: "Justice without Measure". Imperial Regalia. Immortal Crown of Oronin: made from Adamant. Living Gold: Imperial Chariot.

DRAGON PASS AND SOUTH PELORIA: Battle Banner of the EWF: gives Draconic allies and victory. Wooden Sword: Humakti artifact.
Balastor's Axe: belonged to the Last King of Pavis. Ironbreaker: Famous Sword first wielded by a general of Arkat (who

         seems to have lived near Dorastor) and now wielded by the Kings
         of the Bilini.

Iron Crown: Described as being stolen by Balazar and lost. Heartpiecer: a magical spear that can return to its owner's hand
         on command and also be thrown for over a keymile with total
         accuracy.
Wind Sword:  described in Griffin Mountain.  Forged by Inginews
         Redson.  Detects chaos and was created to destroy it.
Diamond Blade: forged by Inginews Redson. Mazta's Invisible Sword: forged by Inginews Redson. An invisible sword. Uz-Cleaver: the first sword made from Iron, forged by Inginews Redson. Lightning Spears: made by Tal Greysmith. Undead Cleaving Swords: made by the Goodsword clan. Alchemical Transformer: Weird Thingy.
Cloak of Darkness: held by Sir Ethilrist. Snakepipe: able to charm snakes.

GREATLANDS: Any treasure from Nomad Gods.

FRONELA: Three Weapons of Talor: a Sword, an Ax and a Flail, each wielded

         by a companion of the Laughing Warrior. Seeing Stones: Used by Sog City to watch over Dilis. The Engine: The worst possible weapon to fall in the worst possible

         hands.

RALIOS AND SESHNELA: Eye of Worlds: Favoured Artifact of Arkat. Secret Register: A book containing the names of Borists everywhere. Seven Shots of the Felster: made from Adamant.

KRALORELA AND TESHNOS: Tolat's Sword: Wielded by the Blue People when they occupied Melib.

>* What about famous ruins or sites? Again, clanking city comes to mind,
>anything else?

DRAGON PASS: Dragon's Eye
Delecti's Ruins
Earthshaker Temple:

FRONELA: Sog City: Where Hrestol was martyred and where the best university

         in the world is.
Gate of Banir: sealed entrance to a horrific realm.

MANIRIA: City of Wonders: Pharaoh's capital, now abandoned. Clanking City: extensive ruins of an infamous type of God Learners Shadow Plateau: Where the City of Black Glass once stood. Trickster Temple: You do not want to visit this place.

RALIOS AND SESHNELA: Frowal: Capital of the God Learner Empire. Hrelar Amali: City of the Gods.
Arkhome: Capital of Arkat's Empire.
Red Ruins: Capital of the Vampire Kings. Froalar's Temple: Forgotten Pagan Temple to the Serpent Kings.

PELORIA Alkoth: Massive Green Walls.
Raibanth: Tower of Yelm.
Glamour: Silver Bridge to the Moon.
Yuthuppa: The Star Tower.
Mount Jernotius: Where the High Gods live. Dorastor: Secrets of the Bright Empire

GREATLANDS: Pavis: Of course!
Plateau of Statues
Tunnelled Hills: Skull of Atyar is kept there.

KRALORELA AND TESHNOS: Goropheng: Flooded capital of Kralorela.

>In general, how much physical evidence of the past does an average (say)
>Sartarite see? Are they constantly weaving around ruins of EWF and Bright
>Empire cities? Or did the dragons pretty much wipe everything out?

Many hillforts lie on top the place of EWF ruins but most Heortlings only saw grassy knolls when they first entered and were smart enough not to dig (after all, they wanted to make a new home, not wake up the dragons again).

--Peter Metcalfe