Re: Re: Archaeology in Glorantha

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:16:30 -0500

Gian Gero says:

>But I also suggest that in digging out antiquities in ancient times,
>one of the factor to be kept in mind is that if you found something
>useful and want to make a fame for yourself out of it, the news
>themselves are going to spread much slower and in a more twisted way
>than in our RW.
>
>So the question: what is the most powerful artifact in Sartar can get
>a potentially infinite number of answers because even if there is one
>artifact which is a (say) ten masteries rule-the-world sword, the
>only way to spread the news about it is by voice (or prayer).

        I don't know -- there's all those mystic plot devices: the aged Sword Sage suddenly sitting bolt upright in her bed and calling to her apprentice in a suddenly-youthful voice "The Sword has returned from the place of myths!" or "Speak Lord, Thy servent heareth." or something like that.... Of course, once these get interpreted, heavens knows what will be made of them (as was pointed out). Still, Mystic Thingies of Serious Plot Impact have a way of getting known by Those in the Know. It's a well-known law of fantasy fiction....

Peter Larsen