Re: Re: Vinga Cult

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:35:05 -0700

Pete:

> How exactly does this rare possibility occur? Does she worship
> Orlanthi subcult alone or does she take another Aspect instead
> of Vinga?

It seems the situation where a vingan will worship other Orlanth cults while not continuing to worship Vinga is rare but possible. Its one of those exceptions that test the rule. Vinga is Gateway as well as Goddess.

To initiate as a Vingan, a woman needs (among others) a Vingan sponsor, so the cult will have some presence among her clan. The process of Vingan initiation in effect changes her ritual status to the equivalent of an Orlanthi male. If the Vinga cult dies out locally or is banned/outlawed to an extend that continued direct worship of the Goddess threatens her hearthmates, it is possible (if unlikely) for a Vinga initiate to join another Orlanth cult (say Helemakt Thunderous) and cease to directly worship the Daughter. In game terms, it would be treated the same as say a male Finovan worshipper moving to Helemakt.

Obviously such a move would usually be distressing to the woman concerned, but it is possible. In other circumstances where another cult becomes more important - a chieftainess' worship of Dar for example - she might allow devotion to Dar to take precedence over direct Vinga worship, under the normal rules. This would be socially acceptable. I guess the vingan cult is used to some exceptional members going on to other things - Vinga is Gateway as well as Goddess.

As for double cult membership (Vinga/other Orlanth) I imagine that the usual rules apply. A Vingan Spearwoman joining Helemakt Thunderous is under the same constrictions as a Finovan Raider joining Helemakt Thunderous. Joint worship is possible, but there are not enough hours in the day for devotion (60% of time ) to both.

Since I've not yet seen the hard copy of Storm Tribe (and since I'm by no means a rules expert at the best of times) others more qualified might like to clarify this. Rules regarding change should be the same as between other Orlanthi cults, but the situation is complicated because Vinga is Gateway (to other roles and deities) as well as Goddess in her own right.

John

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

"The Apollo moon launch is widely known among  Papua New Guinea villagers and continues to evoke  discussion within a mythic context, including the understanding  that the moon landing was achieved on the basis of secret  knowledge in traditional New Guinea myths."