RE: Gloranthan Archeology

From: Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City) <"Posselt,>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:35:18 -0700

Maybe my problem is that I'm off-cycle to everyone else... So much to say...

First, thanks to Peter for his extremely detailed list. Thanks also to Oliver 'floats and glows' Bernuetz as well, for obvious reasons...

to Jeff:

> > I'd like to put this a bit more back into MG. So, some questions:
>
> MG? Er?

my glorantha/game...

> I'd suspect that many of the big ticket items are a bit too
> powerful/too big as we're realizign that the gods WERE giants....
>
> ...that hill and ridge called Gustbran's Hammer really just might BE
> his hammer.

I really like this idea. Immediately brings to mind some good ideas for tortuous goals for the player - go retrieve Gustban's Hammer. One could picture an army of Mostali swarming over the hill, readying the hammer for new use... or the lunar's airlifting it by bat away...

> > * What are the most famous heirlooms/historical objects in Glorantha
>
> Check out the old RuneQuest supplement 'Plunder' if you can find it --

Don't have it... was it Glorantha-specific?

On to John:

> Regarding treasures, the King of Dragon Pass computer game
> contains lots of 'middle level' treasures, things like the
> Raven Banner, Vinga's Comb and the Wyrm's Footprint. There
> are lists of these on some of the KODP websites.

Thanks, I hadn't looked at their website.

> The greatest and most valuable treasures of the Heortlings,
> however, are not things but stories - myths that reveal the
> hidden paths of the Other Side and reveal how the Creative
> Powers there can be tapped and controlled.

That's an extremely good point, actually. Glorantha definitely balances social capital vs. material capital very differently than (say) american society does. I'll have to be sure to work that into the story in some way...

> - Douglas Adams (sadly missed - a gentle, brilliant man who gave us
> perhaps the greatest heroquest of the twentieth century).

I know, I was greatly saddened to hear of his death. So long, and thanks for all the books...

Adept:
> > it. Bonus points for describing any legendary powers
> > associated with the
> > items.
>

> Ironbreaker, Dragonewt armor

Dragonnewt armor? don't they have their own skin? do they wear armor?

Peter larsen:
> It's also worth remembering that, while finding Lost
> Objects of Immense
> Power (tm Unshakable Fate Co.) makes for grand stories, the
> "interactions
> with the past" of your average Heorting (or any other
> Gloranthan, really)
> are going to be through story, speculation, and myth.
> ... Maybe it has power, danger, or both; maybe it doesn't.
> How are your characters going to find out? Any local
> Lhankor Mhy follower
> is likely to be more of a Lawspeaker than a Professor of Gloranthan
> Archeology.

Who says we're dealing with Heortlings? Indianos Jonisor, devotee of Irripi Ontor Adventurous, lecturer in First Age Archeology at the University of Jillaro, at your service...

But seriously... I'm a sucker for what Peter says in a later mail:

> I don't know -- there's all those mystic plot devices:
> the aged Sword Sage
> suddenly sitting bolt upright in her bed and calling to her
> apprentice in a
> suddenly-youthful voice "The Sword has returned from the
> place of myths!"

BTW, all of this talk of mysterious and possibly dangerous buried Yoof artifacts makes me think of Sartar as being rather more post-apocalyptic than I had earlier thought... I've always imagined Sartar as being fairly 'greenfield', but I like the idea of the country being littered with the scary detritus of past wars, and of the Heortlings (and especially the lunar colonists, who don't know better) always being in danger of triggering something they really shouldn't have...

Theo

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.