Re: RE: Gloranthan Archeology

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:59:06 -0500

Theo Posselt says:

>That's an extremely good point, actually. Glorantha definitely balances
>social capital vs. material capital very differently than (say) american
>society does. I'll have to be sure to work that into the story in some
>way...

        Besides, think of the fun of setting the player characters to finding the four clans out of 3 tribes who have versions of a myth and figuring out which parts are "true" and necessary, which parts are "false" and deangerous, and what is unecessary. It's perilously close to Godlearnerism, and probably morally dubious, but the heroquest must go on if the clan is to survive the deadly plot point that threatens it.... What do you offer anothr clan for a piece of a myth? The bargaining could be fierce.

>Dragonnewt armor? don't they have their own skin? do they wear armor?

        Yes, Dragonewts are protected by their skin. So are you, if you are brave, crazy, and unsqueemish enough to skin one....

>Who says we're dealing with Heortlings? Indianos Jonisor, devotee of Irripi
>Ontor Adventurous, lecturer in First Age Archeology at the University of
>Jillaro, at your service...

        Good point. Even I get caught up in the general Heortling-o-centrism....

>'greenfield', but I like the idea of the country being littered with the
>scary detritus of past wars, and of the Heortlings (and especially the lunar
>colonists, who don't know better) always being in danger of triggering
>something they really shouldn't have...

        Besides, you can always have fun with the clan and characters overreacting to something completely harmless. "The cursed item" is really only a EWF decoration, slightly magical because some magician used to cast a lot of light spells on it. The bad luck that started when it was found? Just bad luck. It happens sometimes, even in Glorantha. Sometimes the Trickster is actually innocent; that makes the beating more, not less, funny.

Peter Larsen